<< Back to Blogs
DIY Toilet Cleaners
Posted December 13, 2017
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup citric acid
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
- 15 to 20 drops your choice of essential oil (lavender, rosemary or peppermint)
- silicone candy molds
- Add baking soda to a mixing bowl and use a fork or whisk to break up clumps. Baking soda naturally cleans and eliminates odors, making it the perfect base for the fizzies. Add the citric acid (which you can find near the canning supplies at some stores) and stir. The citric acid adds the fizz to these cleaners.
- In a small glass bowl, mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, which will work together to help clean your toilet. Now SLOWLY drop by drop, add vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to the baking soda. If you add it all at once, you'll have a big mess due to the reaction between the baking soda and citric acid!
- Now add the essential oil and gently mix. This is just for scent, so you can choose any scent you like. I used lavender.
- Use a half teaspoon to scoop the mixture into your candy molds, and press in gently with your fingers. You don't want to fill them completely full, because this will expand. Let dry for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the dried fizzies in glass jar and keep them sealed near your toilet. Make sure you label them and keep them out of reach of small children! The next time things get smelly, after flushing, drop in a fizzy and things will freshen up in no time.